Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Paris: City of Lights

Bonsoir! Sava?
So I'm now in Marseille and this one might take a while because the keyboards here are tré mal, and quite different; I'm pecking around and trying to get my bearings.
I also have a lot to say about Paris. Chiefly, what a town. Seriously. I don't think I made it to bed before 4 at all, and after 5 days my sleep cycle has pretty much adjusted to that schedule. In a city that never sleeps, this is a good thing.
Secondly, Chàmpagne is very cheap here in France, and corks have been popping all over the place.

Stayed at a very interesting hostel, I ended up being almost a secondary caretaker, cleaning up beer bottles, dealing with some assholes and such, the Parisiennes just don't care. Last night for example, I was helping a strange Japanese kid get into his room which was locked. I was knocking on the door trying to wake up the bright fellow who locked the door and then went to sleep. All of a sudden some pissed off Frenchman came and tossed the Japanese kid down a flight of stairs (he wasn't hurt too badly probably because of the aforementioned champagne) and this really pissed me off extremely. The Japanese dude was actually apologizing. So my Brazilian friend Flavio and I got the guy kicked out. Partly because I was hanging out with the owner and I could swing it. The kid was just so defenseless, and I knew the feeling of being in a strange place and no one caring. He thanked me very profusely, with a lot of bowing and arigatos.

The louvre was brilliant, if a little overwhelming; they say if you were to look at each piece of artwork for 10 seconds it would take 7 weeks to see the whole thing. I saw all the sights, scaled the Eiffel tower for a magnificent view, and shared a mango with Jim Morrison (okay, left it on his grave).

I also had a very suprising and 'fabulous' experience. A friend and drinking buddy said his friend was going to take him to a club, so a big group of dudes from the hostel decided to go with. We realized something was fishy when the friend showed up wearing golden leather pants. We get to the club and we soon realize whats up, the small club had about 100 people, and 2 girls... it was a gay club!
We decided, what the hell, and mozied on in. We had to squeeze through the tiny place to get to the bar, and we all recieved some not so accidental gropings in the crowd. One guy in particular, with a candy necklace and skintight sweater took a particular liking to me, and reached out to stroke my hair. I just smiled, said "yeah, its real" and kept fucking walking. I was shocked. We got out of there pretty quickly but it was good for a few laughs.

I made many friends from many nationalities in Paris, and my language skills have been getting a good workout. Brazilians, Japanese, Mexicans, Canadians, Tunisians. Everybody enjoys a good party. The Paris architecture is gorgeous and at night, everything lights up. Very nice.

So now I'm in Marseille, and I must go find a hostel so aurivois for now!
I love them comments, don't be afraid to slap em on there, it really keeps be going, and then I wont have to eat MacDonalds to feel at home...

-Forrest

6 comments:

danny said...

Hey Forrest!
Sounds like a blast. I really liked Paris, especially the Eiffel Tower. How are the travel days on Eurorail holding out?

Watch your gmail account--Bob is sending some contact information and advice.

I spent Thanksgiving cooking with Becky and visiting with Candy, Connie, Tony, John, Greg and family, and of course little Ryan Gregory. You should see that cutie boy!

You can't imagine the great freedom I felt and and the sense of family during Thanksgiving. It has been quite awhile. I missed you though, but I know you are having a good time.

Can I pick you up at the airport?

Love,
Pop

Unknown said...

Hey, hope you had a good thanksgiving! I went down to my dad's and had a blast. I also got to go to Burtonsville and stay for the evening with Laura and Bob and Tyler. That was cool, since I hadn't seen them in a while. Bob even gave me a real Cuban! It was pretty neat. I'll share it with you at my birthday party. We are probably going to have the Hanukkah party on the 8th, so unfortunately, you will miss it. We will miss you too, but I'm glad you are coming back before my birthday. Glad you are having a great time, keep them blogs coming! Oh, and when you go to Italy, please bring me back some Umbrian olive oil...it's the best in the world. Thanks!

-p

Aunt Ruth said...

Hi Forrest, I just read all your blogs. Sounds as if you have had some wild experiences. Sorry you didn't see a play in Ireland. The theatre is marvelous there. The greenery of the land is stunning, and the skies are the bluest.

I admire how you find your way around in foreign countries. There are lots of shocks, and it is good that you are young and can recover strength quidkly.

Paris is a wonderful city. So glad you could be on top of the Eiffel Tower. When I was there it seemed like the Tower of Babel as everyone spoke so many languages. The views were magnificent.

I never saw Amsterdam but have heard marvelous things. You seemed to be excited about visiting there.

More later. Keep safe and enjoy each day. Love, Aunt Ruth

Unknown said...

Forre-
I love picturing you in Paris! You have the je ne sais quoi and joie de vivre (ok, that does it for my french!) that will take you anywhere, make many friends and have amazing adventures! safe travels, love & blessings to you! -risa

Unknown said...

Hey there son,
I'm going through a rougishvagabond withdrawal and am ready for more of your colorful and evocative commentaries. The word on the street in Berkeley is that you are one awesome writer. But we all agree...we're ready for the next installment!
love you do, Mom

Jill said...

Hi, Forrest,

We're stuck in Marseilles! When are we gonna hear about those watery streets of Verona or wherever it is you called from at 4:00 am??? We want more, and we want more soon, before you leave and keep the stories to yourself (or at least just tell those you see in person). Can't you see that we're all living vicariously through you? We're wilting here! Give us more!

Love,

AJ
PS Did you get my last message? I don't see it on the blog...I DID send one. L & W are enthralled by your blog, too....Thanks for the inspiration for them in the future!