Thursday, November 22, 2007

Amsterdam

Where to start? First I just want to say I miss all of you reading this. If you don't know me and you're reading this... I miss you too. So today makes 2 weeks since I've been gone, and I can already tell I will be seeing things differently when I get back, which is a good thing. I think I'll take a lot less for granted. I've also had to change many things about myself to adapt here. But that is for the better as well. I guess my last post was from Doolin.. sorry for the wait but I haven't had the time it takes to write a decent post. And I feel my post should be good this time, because the last few days have been just amazing. After one night of heavy heavy revelry in Galway with some Canadians, I set off for the Netherlands. Since my policy is traveling on the ground or water, never in the air, I was ready for some kind of crazy trip. It took me about 2 days to get here by train and ferry. I got into the UK at about 5, and from there the train lady told me I had the trip from hell. Thanks train lady.She was right though.My travelling style is very seat-of-the-pants, 'winging it' if you will. Its because of this that I annoy the locals by asking timetable questions, or "Where is platform 9 3/4 please?". Then I usually have to wait for trains that don't come and take roundabout routes to my destination. Somehow I always get there. St. Christopher (the patron of travellers) seems to be on my side and for that I am very thankful.I got to London euston at about 2 in the morning. Needless to say many of the trains were stopped for the night, and I definitely could'nt catch a ferry at 3 in the morning from Harwich (the coast cities where ships go to Holland). So I wandered out of the crazy crazy train station to find a place to stay. I must have wandered for about an hour and a half trying to find a hostel. I was about ready to just sleep on the street bum-style. Somehow I managed to find a hostel, a big hotel size one, and I got their very last bed.My state at this point was pretty sorry, I think the night of aforementioned revelry had shocked my immune system, and I had an awful cough and was very congested. From the symptoms it seemed like I had bronchitis, but I won't gross you guys out with the gory details. I took my Influenzinum medicine, and got a good nights rest. The next morning I got to Harwich, and found out that the ferry didn't run until 11:30... PM.So I had to kill 12 hours in this tiny English town. I went to the library and read books. Back to the train station to play my guitar for 7 hours. It sucked. Some shady characters of about 19 came by with their girlfriends, about 14, who sat there and looked at me and giggled.I just played guitar and wrote in my journal for a while.The ferry was insane and very relaxing. It was damn expensive, and I realized after a little while that it was an overnight luxury deal, very Titanic.It was about 100 dollars, but it was the only one I could take and it turned out to be worth it for the rest and relaxation value. Since the food situation is so sparse, I ate their all you can eat buffet, and got kicked out after about two hours haha I dont think they were prepared.Amsterdam is an amazing city. And I swear it's not just the weed, theres definitely something about this place I really like. Cities all have a certain feel, and this one is very unique. Its like the crazy ski-lodge techno banger party zone, but at the same time the bookish cafe coffeshoppe, all rolled into one. The canals and bridges are very beautiful at, especially at night against the black water.I have met many cool people, many not so cool people. I have see the women in the windows, and the crazy reefer scented coffeshops. I have ridden tram after flying tram (one I was on hit a bike, but thats another story) and the cars that drive on the right side of the road.I could definitely see myself living here, and I think of many of you guys who are reading this, and I wish you were with me.Tomorrow Im going to belgium to drink some beer.I'll try to 'keep it regular',-Forrest

2 comments:

Joe said...

I've been reading along enjoying your posts. Sounds like you are making the best of a good situation. Today is Thanksgiving (you might not have noticed). We are going down the road to be thankful with the Irey's.
I'm sure that there are certain folks that are thankful that you have the courage and the opportunity to be doing exactly what you are doing.
All the best,
Joe

Unknown said...

Missed seeing you on thanksgiving hermano..but so glad you are off seeing the world and taking it all in! So amazed by your strength and humor despite the unexpecteds that traveling can bring. Just enjoy it for what it is and smile and know that you are loved! Hope to see you in December...